Sunday, August 21, 2011

making of a dodo

Freshly purchased roll of 54" paper. 

 I divide the paper up and cut it down to size using a t-square and exacto blade

 repeat until I have 50 sheets

 This was my first time using photo emulsion to make my screen. So I hand painted onto acetate my image to be burnt into the screen.
Image burnt into my nice new aluminum screen (no more cheap speedball crap screen). I chose this method instead of the stencil like the skull prints because I wanted to try a new technique and I wanted a semi permanent screen for printing. I spread the emulsion with a squeegee, hence the sloppiness, kinda wish I had bought a scoop coater, but in the end it all worked fine.

 Plain paper in.

 Dodo comes out

 Repeat 50 times. Probably should invest in a drying rack but for now I just tape them to the wall to dry

Finally take my blade and kiss cut each one to shape and they are ready for pasting.

No comments: